The number of adult Americans with an identified source of primary care has decreased over the past decade, leaving around 80 million people without a dedicated provider. The decline in primary care was particularly notable among younger Americans and those without complex medical issues. Unsurprisingly, as healthcare costs have continued to rise, more patients have opted out of routine screenings, annual exams, and regular doctor’s visits.
WHY IS PRIMARY CARE SO IMPORTANT?
Studies have shown that consistent primary care can lead to longer, healthier lives for patients. Primary care providers are often a patient’s first point of contact with the healthcare system and can help to spot potentially serious health risks early on.
The statistics speak for themselves — primary care is essential:
- Adults in the U.S. who have a primary care provider have 19% lower odds of premature death than those who only see specialists for their care.
- Patients with a primary care provider save 33% on healthcare costs compared to those who only see specialists.
- Access to primary care helps avoid unnecessary trips to the emergency room, where care can cost as much as 4x that of other outpatient care.
- Catching and treating problems during regular check ups is far less expensive than treating an advanced illness — in fact, if everyone saw a primary care provider first for their care, it would save the U.S. an estimated $67 billion every year.
- Patients report a 10% increase in patient satisfaction with healthcare when they have a primary care provider.
HOW DOES CONSISTENT PRIMARY CARE HELP EMPLOYERS?
Eden Health is a concierge medical provider that works with employers across the country. We help employees return to work with our COVID-19 program, and we unify 24/7 primary care, mental health, and insurance navigation in one easy-to-use app. By integrating in-person and virtual visits, we deliver better continuous care at a lower overall cost.
The key to employees staying healthy is getting ahead. When employees have ongoing relationships with their providers, they can proactively manage health issues, helping to save time, money, and sick days down the line.
EDEN HEALTH BRIDGES THE CARE GAP
Eden wants each member to have a trusted relationship with their provider. We’re more than just an acute care resource — with a dedicated Care Team assigned to each employee, we’re here to partner with our patients long-term and save your company time and money in the process.
Want to learn more about how Eden Health can be the primary care resource your employees want? Contact us today.